This tutorial talks about various resources that you can use to leard about hadoop and map reduce. It also talks about how you can think about learning about Big data as a subject in totality
Studying Hadoop or MapReduce can be a daunting task if you get your hand dirty at the start.
Some of the prerequisites for learning Hadoop are having a good experience in Java. Good Analytical skills help a lot as well and final secret sauce for being successful is – you need to be motivated to self learn lot of things in the bigdata arena.
For Learning Hadoop ,I followed the schedule as follows :
- Start with very basics of MR with code.google.com/edu/parallel/dsd-tutorial.html code.google.com/edu/parallel/mapreduce-tutorial.html
- Then go for the first two lectures in http://www.cs.washington.edu/education/courses/cse490h/08au/lectures.htm A very good course intro to MapReduce and Hadoop.
- Read the seminal paper labs.google.com/papers/mapreduce.html and its improvements in the updated version http://www.cs.washington.edu/education/courses/cse490h/08au/readings/communications200801-dl.pdf
- Then go for all the other videos in the U.Washington link given above.
- Try youtubing the terms Map reduce and hadoop to find videos by ORielly and Google RoundTable for good overview of the future of Hadoop and MapReduce
- Then off to the most important videos –
Google MiniLecture Series
Along with all the Multimedia above we need good written material
- Architecture diagrams at hadooper.blogspot.com are good to have on your wall
- Hadoop: The definitive guide goes more into the nuts and bolts of the whole system where as Hadoop in Action is a good read with lots of teaching examples to learn the concepts of hadoop. Pro Hadoop is not for beginners
- pdfs of the documentation from Apache Foundation
will help you learn as to how model your problem into a MR solution in order to gain the advantages of Hadoop in total.
- HDFS paper by Yahoo! Research is also a good read in order to gain in depth knowledge of hadoop
- Subscribe to the User Mailing List of Commons, MapReduce and HDFS in order to know problems, solutions and future solutions.
- Try the http://developer.yahoo.com/hadoop/tutorial/module1.html link for beginners to expert path to Hadoop
In Addition following 2 books are good resources:
- Hadoop – Definitive Guide
- Hadoop in Action
For Any Queries …
Contact Apache, Google, Bing, Yahoo!